Unless you’re lucky enough to have a beautiful heirloom ring passed down to you from your family, you’ll need to figure out how to buy an engagement ring when you’re ready to ask your partner the big question. There are dozens of things to consider when shopping for an engagement ring, from understanding your partner’s tastes to figuring out a sensible budget. All of this is added to the very real stress of popping the question to the love of your life!
Fortunately, we’re here to make the process just a little bit easier for you. The truth is that you don’t need to be a jewelry expert to find a great deal on the perfect ring. In fact, as long as you know the basics, you can find a great ring that checks all the right boxes.
But if you’re reading this, you probably have a lot of questions about the process of buying an engagement ring. Is it better to buy an engagement in person or online? How much should you spend on an engagement ring? What are some popular styles of engagement rings? Finally, where can you find high-quality diamond engagement rings at affordable prices?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, but first, let’s take a look at some of the most important factors to consider when picking out an engagement ring:
How to Pick Out an Engagement Ring
Picking the right engagement ring for both you and your partner is the biggest hurdle to overcome when shopping. Why? Because you have to think about tons of different factors before you can even narrow down your choices. To help you streamline this process, here are some of the most important things to consider before you make a purchase:
- Your Partner - Above all else, you should be thinking about the needs and wants of your partner while picking out an engagement ring. For example, do they like or dislike certain colors? Would they prefer a big, lavish stone or something more understated? Though you may not want to ask these questions directly, do your best to understand the preferences of your partner before you ever begin looking for an engagement ring.
- Your Budget - How much you can reasonably afford to pay for an engagement ring is extremely important. You should always set a budget beforehand and do your best to stick to it. There are various methods out there to help you set a reasonable price. For example, people frequently say you should spend roughly two months’ salary or 4% of your annual pre-tax income on a ring. Truthfully, you can largely ignore these recommendations and just set a budget that makes sense for you and your partner.
- The 4 C’s - If you haven’t heard of them before, the 4 C’s of diamonds are the Cut, Color, Clarity, and Carat. Though color is pretty obvious, the other 3 qualities may not be as clear. The Cut refers to the shape of the diamond, the Clarity refers to the presence and frequency of internal or external inclusions (defects), and the Carat refers to the size and weight of the diamond. All of these factors can affect both the visual appeal and price of a diamond engagement ring.
- Band Design & Materials - Typically, the stone (or stones) on an engagement ring serve as the “main attraction.” However, you should definitely not ignore the band. Bands can come in different materials, like gold or platinum, as well as dozens of different colors and designs.
- Type of Diamond - Picking the right type of diamond is important. Do you want a lab-grown diamond that is more affordable and guilt-free, or do you want a natural diamond that is more expensive and rare? And what if you don’t want a diamond? If your partner prefers a different kind of stone, you may want something else. Alternatively, if you’re looking to save money on an engagement ring, you may opt for a more affordable gemstone like moissanite.
- Jeweler Reputability - You should always do ample research on a jeweler before making a purchase. Read reviews, ask questions, and ensure that you’re actually getting a real, high-quality engagement ring. If you’re unsure where to start, feel free to check out the certified diamond engagement rings available at Liori Diamonds.
- Ring Size - Once you’ve made decisions about the general look of an engagement ring, you’ll need to make sure that you actually get the right size! For many people, it can be hard to get the size right without asking their partner and ruining the surprise. Fortunately, you can consult our ring size chart for help and even get your ring resized if necessary.
How to Shop For Engagement Rings
Once you’ve considered all of the factors in the previous section and have a general idea of the kind of ring you want, it’s time to start shopping! But where should you go? Read on to find some useful insights on shopping for the perfect engagement ring:
Buying an Engagement Ring in Person
In years’ past, the main way to buy an engagement ring was simply visiting a jeweler in person. You might have been able to buy one through a mail-order catalogue, but it has always been far more common to see the ring before making a purchase. That said, going to a brick-and-mortar jeweler is no longer as popular or as economical as it used to be.
This is because going to a physical jeweler often requires you to spend more time looking around for the right ring. You may also feel pressured to buy something if you have a sale’s person breathing down your neck. Feeling pressured while you shop could cause you to purchase a ring that is too expensive or doesn’t meet some of your requirements. That said, many shoppers still prefer to see a ring in person before making a purchase — which is completely understandable. If you like to see the ring in person first, we recommend finding the ring you want online and then visiting a jeweler’s showroom to make an informed decision.
Buying an Engagement Ring Online
When you shop for engagement rings online, you can spend as much or as little time as you want looking around. Just as importantly, you can also take advantage of the huge number of options on the internet and compare deals from dozens of sellers in real time. This means you could potentially save hundreds or even thousands of dollars by shopping for an engagement ring online. Moreover, you’ll have way more ring designs at your disposal than you would at a single jewelry store.
But how can you be sure that you’re buying from a reputable dealer? This is where Liori Diamonds can help. At Liori Diamonds, we offer the best of both worlds. We have a full collection of engagement rings available to purchase online. Plus, you can make a private, complimentary appointment to visit our showroom in the Diamond District of Manhattan or have a virtual Facetime meeting with our staff.
Liori Diamonds’ Home Try-On Service
In addition to fast and easy online ordering, you can opt into our “home try-on” service. With this service, you have the opportunity to choose up to 5 rings to try out. You only need to put down a fully-refundable deposit of $200 per ring. This helps ensure that you get the perfect ring based on your preferences and budget. From there, you can either send the rings back and choose new options, or select the ring you like and make a purchase. In short, if you want to find the best engagement rings on the market while also getting the best possible customer service, you can’t go wrong with Liori Diamonds!
We hope you found this guide on how to buy an engagement ring both useful and informative! Are you in the market for an engagement ring? Do you want beautiful, certified diamond engagement rings at competitive prices? If so, be sure to check out the luxurious products available at Liori Diamonds today!