If you’ve ever seen someone wearing a gemstone earring before, there is a good chance you saw a pair of diamond stud earrings. Why? Because diamond studs are by far the most popular gemstone earrings among both men and women. They are extremely versatile and perfect for a wide range of occasions, from casual get-togethers to elegant cocktail parties.
But what makes diamond earring studs so great? What characteristics should you look for when shopping for diamond stud earrings? How do diamond studs differ from other types of diamond earrings? Finally, where can you buy high-quality diamond stud earrings at affordable prices?
In today’s guide, we will answer all of these questions and more, but first, let’s look at what the term “diamond studs” really means:
What Are Diamond Studs?
Though styles can vary, diamond studs are essentially just one or more diamonds placed into metal stud settings. The studs are almost always combined with posts and backings to make them easy to wear as earrings. In most cases, diamond studs are meant to be simple, without the hoops, bands, and features of larger, more ornate diamond earrings.
And while many people associate studs with contemporary fashion, they have been around in one form or another for centuries. It is believed that the first stud earrings came about as popular jewelry among the pharaohs and nobility of Ancient Egypt. Centuries later, the “Pearl Age” of the 15th and 16th Centuries led to the pearl stud becoming one of the most popular fashions among the aristocrats of Europe.
It wasn’t until the mid-17th Century that gemstone earrings, including diamond earrings, became popular. Over the following decades, many individuals chose to wear diamond studs in just one ear, as opposed to the traditional two-ear style. This made it more affordable for people who were not as wealthy to flaunt diamond jewelry for half the standard price.
More recently, the diamond stud saw a resurgence in popularity starting in the 1960s and 1970s. The appeal only grew in the 1980s, as an increasing number of public figures adopted the style. Today, a wide range of people wear diamond stud earrings, from professional athletes to runway models. This has helped ensure that the diamond stud remains in style for a large demographic of consumers.
Why Stud Earrings Are So Popular
Starting in the mid-20th Century, many women saw diamond studs as a classy, understated, and affordable way to wear diamond jewelry. While diamonds were still out of reach for many working-class people at the time, the introduction of lab-made diamonds helped democratize diamond jewelry around the world. This helped stud earrings become even more popular and commonplace over the following decades.
As previously mentioned, the appeal of diamond stud earrings among actors, athletes, models, musicians, and other celebrities also helped keep the style popular in the late 20th and early 21st Centuries. Everyday consumers often follow in the footsteps of public figures, which has helped make diamond studs a must-have accessory among men and women.
To make diamond studs even more enticing, they are also extremely versatile. They work with both casual and elegant clothing. Moreover, stud earrings can be worn just about anywhere without the need to worry that they’ll get caught on something and fall out.
In short, stud earrings are popular because they are versatile, timeless, and easy to wear. They come in various sizes, shapes, and styles, making them suitable for a wide range of occasions. Stud earrings are comfortable because they sit close to the earlobe and don't dangle or get in the way. Additionally, they are often less expensive than other types of earrings, making them an affordable and fashionable accessory.
How To Buy Diamond Stud Earrings
Buying diamond stud earrings will require you to do a bit of research and planning in advance. While stud earrings may not be as much of an investment as a diamond engagement ring, they are still worth the extra effort. After all, you won’t want to buy low-quality diamonds or studs with shoddy craftsmanship. So, here are a few things to consider when buying diamond stud earrings:
- Determine Your Budget - Decide how much you can comfortably spend on diamond stud earrings before you start shopping.
- Pick a Size - Once you have a budget in mind, you can select the right size for you (more on that below).
- Choose the Occasion - Think about when you (or whoever will wear the earrings) plan to wear them. What kind of occasions will you want to wear them for? Are they for everyday use or special events only?
- Find a Reputable Jeweler - Lastly, you need to find a reputable jeweler. Fortunately, you can always turn to Liori Diamonds for high-quality diamond stud earrings.
What Is A Good Size For Diamond Stud Earrings?
A good size for you will largely depend on your budget, your personal sense of style, and how and when you plan to wear the studs. That said, here are some of the most popular sizes for diamond stud earrings:
- 5 - 1 Carat - Best for everyday use and consumers on a budget.
- 2 Carats - Best for those who want to strike a balance between size and affordability.
- 3 Carats - Best for people who want a larger size that really stands out.
- 4 Carats - Best for those who want the largest size that can still be worn comfortably, particularly for special events.
How To Clean Diamond Stud Earrings
Most people assume that cleaning diamond stud earrings is a complicated and time-consuming affair, but it really doesn’t need to be. In fact, you can typically clean a pair of standard diamond studs in less than an hour. Here is a step-by-step guide for cleaning diamond stud earrings in the comfort of your own home:
- Fill a bowl with warm water. The bowl does not need to be overly large — just big enough so that the studs can sit at the bottom with at least an inch of water above them.
- Place your diamond studs in the bowl. Make sure you are using a flat surface so you don’t risk spilling the water and losing your earrings.
- Add hand or dish soap to the water. You can add a few drops of unscented liquid soap or lather bar soap in the water for 5 to 10 seconds. Either way, avoid heavy-duty soaps with chemicals that could damage your earrings, like dyes or strong fragrances.
- Mix up the water and soap using your hands or a spoon. Be sure to move the diamond studs around during this step to help break up any dirt or grime that could be stuck in small crevices.
- Let the studs sit in the solution for approximately 30 minutes while continuing to move the water and studs around every few minutes.
- Very carefully rinse the earrings under a tap of warm water. It is best to keep the studs in the bowl and use your hands to guard them during this step, as you don’t want to risk dropping the studs down the drain!
- Dry your diamond earrings with a cloth. Don’t press too hard, as you could end up bending the metal. Just pat the studs dry for about 10 to 15 seconds.
- (Optional) Gently brush away any additional residue with a soft toothbrush.
We hope you found this guide on diamond stud earrings both useful and informative! Are you in the market for diamond stud earrings? Do you want beautiful, certified diamond jewerly at competitive prices? If so, be sure to check out the luxurious products available at Liori Diamonds today!